21st May: Guidance for areas where the new COVID-19 variant is spreading.
25th May: Guidance updated updated to make it clearer the government are not imposing local restrictions
If you’re in an area where the new COVID-19 variant is spreading. The new COVID-19 variant spreads more easily from person to person. To help stop the spread, you should take particular caution when meeting anyone outside your household or support bubble.
To help stop the spread, you should take particular caution when meeting anyone outside your household or support bubble.
In the areas listed below, wherever possible, you should try to:
- meet outside rather than inside where possible
- keep 2 metres apart from people that you don’t live with (unless you have formed a support bubble with them), this includes friends and family you don’t live with
- minimise travel in and out of affected areas
This new variant is sometimes referred to as the variant first identified in India. It is spreading fastest in:
- Bedford Borough Council
- Blackburn with Darwen Borough Council
- Bolton Metropolitan Borough Council
- Burnley Borough Council
- Kirklees Council
- Leicester City Council
- London Borough of Hounslow
- North Tyneside Council